Is it time to do something different to dress up the windows in your home? If you have sliding glass doors, you need unique window treatments such as vertical blinds, custom drapes, or curtain panels that fit large windows. Specialized window treatments will be more expensive than something you purchase for regular windows, so you want to get it right the first time. We recommend getting free help from a Shades of Amber Designer when placing your order. Almost all blinds for sliding glass doors will need to be installed using an outside mount. In a typical sliding glass door setup, most doors are not very deep, so you’ll have to install the window treatment on the wall above. Because of the lack of depth, the handle on your sliding doors may interfere with your window treatment. Your designer can help find an option that will accommodate handles and any other hardware that may interfere with the functioning of your window covering. If you want the ability to open your window treatment fully so that your glass doors are completely uncovered, consult with your designer to add extra width to your window treatment so it can be retracted and overlap the wall on either side of the opening. Is it important to you that your door shades match or coordinate with other window treatments in the room? Read below to learn about window treatments with coordinating products for doors.
Types of Treatments
- Vertical Blinds. As a Hunter Douglas retailer, we have some of the highest quality yet affordable blinds in Colorado Springs. Easily coordinate your sliding glass doors and larger windows in traditional or contemporary style with vertical blinds. Various fabrics and panels offer different levels of light control, and vertical blinds can be paired with custom drapes, curtain panels, or other unique window treatments to reflect your own personal style in any room.
- Sliding Panel Track Blinds. If your top priority is light control, these blinds are your best bet. Available in fabric, faux woods, or modern solar screen materials, these screens are a great way to block the glare and heat from the sizzling summer sun while still maintaining the view your sliding glass doors afford. Choose a color that blends with or coordinates with your paint, wallpaper, flooring, or other elements for a cohesive look.
- Vertical Cellular Shades. Cellular shades trap air in distinct pockets to help keep your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Since up to 50% of your home’s heating and cooling energy can escape through your windows, these beautiful and functional shades can be a great way to save money on your energy bill every month.
- Custom Drapery. Custom drapes are an ideal choice for covering glass doors or large windows. The options for fabric and color are almost limitless, and can be the crowning glory of any room, matching your paint for a monochromatic look, or adding a pop of coordinating color to add interest to your sliding glass doors and windows. Pleated headers offer a more traditional look, while a grommet header is the perfect choice for contemporary styles.
- Soft Vertical Blinds. Sometimes known as sheer vertical shades, soft vertical blinds feature sheer fabric over vinyl vanes. When open, sheer fabric allows soft light to filter through. When you want to block more light or achieve more privacy, the vinyl vanes can be closed. Some fabrics can be machine washed, making this window treatment a great choice for high traffic areas like sliding glass doors. Soft vertical blinds offer the high end aesthetic of sheer drapes along with the functionality of vertical blinds, giving you the best of both worlds.
- Woven Wood Drapes. These materials are available in a vertical blind application that works well with most decor styles. This unique window treatment brings a natural element into any room and can be coordinated with other woven wood shades. Choose from privacy or blackout fabric, decorative edging, and different levels of fullness to create a custom look for your home.
- Double Horizontal Blinds. A single horizontal blind over your sliding glass doors is not the best choice, as most will be extremely heavy and could be difficult to raise all the way. The extra weight can also cause parts to wear out or break too soon, and extra lengthy cords could present a hazard for small children or pets. However, you can install two horizontal blinds over the two glass sliding doors. If you choose this option, you could raise the shade over the access door alone, leaving the other panel lowered. We recommend choosing blinds with low head rails that will be easy to install.
Find the Perfect Custom Window Treatments for You at Shades of Amber
Shades of Amber is the perfect resource for the purchase and installation of designer window treatments and home décor in Colorado Springs, Monument and Castle Rock. We meet with you to determine your needs, research and create design solutions meeting your requirements, then our talented team goes to work creating your custom window treatment. Once all is said and done, we will professionally install your unique window treatments at no charge. All that’s left for you to do is sit back and enjoy the amazing new look!
Come visit our store soon and discover all the wonderful things you just won’t find anywhere else. We’re conveniently located at 125 Second Street in stunning Monument, CO 80132 for your shopping pleasure. No matter what you’re looking for to decorate your home, give us a call at (719) 265-9921 and our friendly, helpful staff will do our best to make it happen for you. Your home should be a reflection of your unique personality, showcasing your personal style and complimenting your lifestyle. We understand what you need, and we look forward to working with you to make your home the perfect depiction of all that is you!